Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Top 5

So I finally watched High Fidelity. I just loved it. I loved the characters, the pop-culture referencing left and right, the lack of a "fourth wall", the immersive 90's vibe, and well... Jack Black?? Yeah. Aces all around. I honestly can't find anything about that movie that I really have a problem with. 

I genuinely appreciate the non-traditional love story. Rather, the anti-hollywood love story. That's one of the main reasons why I loved Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind,  Conversations with Other Women, and 2 Days in Paris. It's also why I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of Punch Drunk Love, which is about two movies away on my Netflix queue. I've been told it has a similar unconventional love story. 

I'm so tired of the romantic architype that the big studios keep perpetuating. It was entertaining as a kid, but now it's just tired. The great thing about the afore mentioned films, is that the quirky imperfection in the showcased relationships are not only relatable, but engaging. You want them to work it out (an impulse that you also feel in the cheesy generic rom-com) BUT the big difference is that you want them to work it our really. If they fall into the predictable "boy wrongs girl, girl is sad and dumps boy, boy does some heroic, dramatic, often implausible righteous act to win girl back" pattern, you don't care anymore. In fact, if you're like me, you then RESENT these characters. 

That's how I felt about Garden State. I was OK with him leaving. That's life: it's imperfect, and all too often ill-timed. That movie lost all of it's credibility when he came back to her in the end. I mean, how safe? Take a risk Braff. Tell an original story, don't rehash the trite story lines of every other romantic comedy. If he had gotten on that damn plane, I would have been sad that they couldn't stay together. That being said- it's OK to leave the audience a little sad now and then. I say, you're better leaving them sad, than placated. I just felt so pandered to, that I actually hoped that they would (eventually) break up!

Enough rant: Here is one of my favorite scenes from High Fidelity.


And by the way, I am now subsequently obsessed with this song from The Beta Band:

-Cait

PS
My 7 year old niece, Fiona, sent me a text yesterday that said  
"You are my favorit in the famly."
I mean, does it get any better than that?

2 comments:

  1. I loved that movie! My absolute favorite bit about the whole thing was watching Dick go apeshit on Tim Robbins character during the fantasy sequence. Have you read the book?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No I haven't read the book. After seeing the movie I was sort of kicking myself because I hadn't read it first. Oh, and yeah, Dick is the greatest. I hope no one reads that sentence of of context.

    ReplyDelete